Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2016

I'm An Instant Star. Just Add Water And Stir.

That Time We Discussed The Inevitable

What The Buzz: #DavidBowie

As you are already no doubt aware, David Bowie has sadly passed away after a battle with cancer.

The Twittersphere and Facey-B alike exploded with the news with messages of sadness and heartfelt remembrances.

Personally? I can only claim to be a casual fan of the late, great Bowie.  I have an appreciation of his music, certainly, but my main source of love for the man comes, undoubtedly, from his performance as Jareth the Goblin King in 1986's Labyrinth. 

(I also particularly love Life on Mars (the song and TV show) but that is a somewhat loose connection.)

The Best Thing to happen in 1986. WITHOUT QUESTION.
David Bowie was a true icon and has given us so much to enjoy including 25 studio albums, an incredible 51 music videos and has sold over 140 million albums worldwide which is certainly a fitting tribute to the longevity of Bowie's popularity.

But for me, he will always be that strangely alluring, magical, cruel to be kind magician that captured my imagination when I was a young girl.  I remember watching this movie and, even knowing that there were puppets and muppets and all sorts of other creations involved, thinking that Jareth was the real magic of the film.

Even inspiring an amateur cosplay attempt by me and the Sister. 

The wold has lost a wonderfully creative spirit and my thoughts go to his family and friends who knew him in a way that the online world tries to lay claim to but will never understand. 

And, finally, the most fitting tribute I could think of.  Take it away lads:




&&Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment